Make It Matter
Run time: 22 Minutes
Whether you're a person just starting out in a job/career, a mid-level manager, or a senior leader, you will not become "essential" unless you are proactive at making it happen. Using a variety of stories and examples, communication coach and consultant John A. Jenson
illustrates three things a person can do to make themselves matter.
1. Design Be so intentional and so strategic in the way you present yourself that people respond to you exactly the way you need them to.
This step isn't about trying to be something you're not; it's about solidifying who you are and "stepping it up". You should be able to summarize your personal design in one word and should lean toward stronger words like credible, decisive, compelling, engaging or professional. The key is to ask yourself: Am I willing to make this my standard? Will I hold myself accountable to presenting myself in way that is consistent with the word(s) I've chosen?
2. Package You must develop a presence about you that will ensure people pay attention to you just by looking at you. This requires that you follow The L.A.W. of Personal Packaging:
3. Deliver In times like these, just showing up doesn't cut it anymore...you have to deliver something of value.
- Looks - Is the way you present yourself consistent with the standard you've designed for yourself?
- Actions - What do you do? (Being "professional" is more about you as a person, not your position.)
- Words - Don't be a person who loves to talk, be someone who has something to say; keep it simple.
Everyone's work, in some way or another, can positively impact the organization. People who see the part they play in helping the organization meet its goals, and who then consistently deliver their part at a high level, can't help but become significant.
The Make It Matter Personal Branding Workbook
enables individuals to come up with their personal design, consider how their looks, actions and words match the standard they've set for themselves and determine specific things they will do to deliver at the highest possible level.
A John A. Jenson LLC Title