Bringing your company’s mission and purpose to fruition requires more than the individual efforts of star employees. Teamwork is absolutely essential to any organization’s long-term success. However, issues with communication and interpersonal dynamics can create obstacles that keep groups from working well together. Teamwork videos help your employees overcome these obstacles and create highly functioning teams.
Using Team Building Videos to Foster Productivity and Improve Results
Through compelling examples and proven instructional models, teamwork videos can help teams overcome obstacles while expanding their capacity for collaboration, innovation and execution. You can use videos to improve team performance in these crucial areas:
- Communication: When team members are unable or unwilling to communicate effectively, it is nearly impossible for the team as a whole to function properly. Barriers to team communication can include personality conflicts, lack of trust, disrespect, and false consensus (where people are reluctant to express an opposing opinion). Many popular team building videos address these issues while providing information on how to keep group communication honest, respectful, positive and productive.
- Achieving Goals: In the workplace, teams are generally created for a specific purpose. Empowering teams to set goals helps individual team members work beyond their own personal agendas while keeping everyone focused on the task at hand. When goals are unclear or group members aren’t sure of how the part they play contributes to the overall team objective, accountability suffers and the team becomes ineffective. Teach your teams how to set realistic goals, gain everyone’s commitment to those goals and track performance with videos that provide team training in these areas.
- Solving Problems: Even the best of teams will occasionally hit an obstacle. How a group overcomes such obstacles can determine the degree to which they will be successful over time. Some of the best teamwork videos available are those that provide inspiration and instruction in this area. Highly recommended are videos that tell true stories of remarkable team accomplishments, such as the team that worked tirelessly to overcome setbacks and save 33 miners trapped underground in Chile…or the team that helped a blind mountain climber reach the summit of Mt. Everest.
- Leadership: Without great leadership, groups may be able to get some things done…but it is unlikely that they will really become a “team” in the truest sense of the word. The right kind of leader helps unify the group and ensures that all voices are heard. He or she keeps the team on course, nips conflict in the bud, and celebrates victories along the way. Using teamwork videos specifically designed for teaching people how to build and lead a high-performing team will set both the designated team leader and the team itself up for success.
Why Use Videos?
Using videos as a medium for teamwork training offers some notable benefits.
- It is important for each member of a team to receive the same training information as every other person in the group. Video training provides this kind of uniform experience.
- Teamwork videos engage employees through both sight and sound, helping them retain more information than through written or audio training alone.
- Finally, many teamwork videos profile real-world teams comprised of ordinary people who’ve accomplished extraordinary things by working together. This provides a highly effective form of motivation.
Teamwork videos are essential training resources for any employer interested in creating teams that excel in productivity and leadership.
Recommended Training Resources: The 5 Dysfunctions of a Team, based on the best-selling book by Patrick Lencioni, helps teams overcome the most common barriers to peak performance. And, Everest, a documentary account of the amazing team that enabled blind mountain climber Erik Weihenmayer to reach the summit of Mt. Everest.