Diversity training is essential when it comes to educating employees on the best ways to build a workplace where everyone feels respected and appreciated for what they have to offer. Creating a positive work environment through diversity training can dramatically improve your organizational results: here’s how.
How Workplace Diversity Training Improves Organizational Results
- Diversity Training Improves Teamwork: The most effective teams include people of varying backgrounds and beliefs; individuals who come together to share ideas and use their collective strengths to make things happen. Differences in who we are, where we’re from, and how we live can keep a team from gelling; or, they can make the team much stronger. Workplace diversity training reminds employees that a variety of experiences and perspectives can lead to breakthroughs in team problem solving and innovation. When diverse people are encouraged and empowered to work together as a team, differences are set aside in pursuit of shared goals.
- Diversity Training Leads to Inclusion: In the workplace, as in life, people often have the tendency to stay within their “comfort zone” (or, to avoid people and ideas that strike them as out of the ordinary). Through diversity training, we are reminded that when we show others the respect and consideration we ourselves expect to be shown, we are able to make connections and build healthy business relationships. By accepting and engaging with people we otherwise might have avoided, we build an inclusive environment where everyone feels they belong and where people are allowed to give their best effort.
- Diversity Training Decreases Negative Interactions: Discrimination, whether intentional or unintentional, is a problem in many workplaces. When it occurs, morale and productivity decrease swiftly. In extreme cases, discriminatory behavior can lead to legal repercussions. Diversity training in the workplace educates employees and managers alike on inappropriate and disrespectful behaviors, stopping unproductive interactions before they begin.
- Diversity Training Increases Productivity: Employees who feel respected and have positive interactions with those around them tend to be happier than those working in a more hostile environment. This increase in morale leads to greater productivity and less turnover. Also, by teaching techniques for handling diversity-related tension, diversity training helps reduce workplace conflict, allowing employees to concentrate on their jobs instead of being distracted by tension with co-workers. Because a happier staff produces better work, making an investment in diversity training is an effective way to help your employees produce the best results possible.
- Diversity Training Ignites Passion: Diversity training encourages authenticity, allowing individuals to be themselves rather than merely “fit in” with the status quo. Employees who feel excited about their job and what they can contribute are more energetic and passionate.
Diversity training in the workplace dramatically changes the way your employees view and interact with each other, which in turn dramatically improves your organizational results.
Recommended Training Resources
Gateways to Inclusion is an engaging explanation of how tense moments can be transformed into productive conversations. By looking at negative interactions as “gateways,” employees can use these situations to nurture better working relationships and increase understanding.