When you promote an employee to manager or supervisor, you’re providing an opportunity for greater rewards and responsibility. To be successful, your new managers need to refine their leadership skills. CRM Learning offers videos that cover the leadership training topics your management team needs in order to be effective. Here are 5 specific training areas that can provide a positive impact in your workplace.
5 Leadership Training Areas that Help Take Managers From Good to Great
- Communication Skills: The best leaders are first-rate communicators. Through their words, they motivate and inspire others, build accountability, and establish relationships that bring out the best in people. Managers who strive to be great leaders must learn to speak in a clear and effective manner, ask the right questions, and know when and how to listen. Recommended Training Resource: The Respectful Supervisor: Motivating and Retaining Employees
- Influencing & Negotiation Skills: Because managers typically oversee projects as well as people, they will be more successful if they know how to influence and negotiate with the people around them. These skills ensure that the work gets done and goals are met….without compromising relationships. Recommended Training Resource: Leading the Way: Negotiating with Influence
- Leadership Accountability: Managers play a key role in creating and maintaining an accountable workplace. Teach them how to hold themselves and others accountable and you will reduce unproductive behavior while improving employee engagement and results. Recommended Training Resource: Accountability That Works!
- Mentoring & Coaching: Both formal and informal mentoring are essential for knowledge transfer and succession planning. Show your managers that coaching and mentoring are something they should both give and receive; then, be sure to support these efforts at the organizational level. Widespread use of mentoring and coaching ensures that everyone receives ongoing encouragement while benefitting from the practical experience of others.Recommended Training Resource: Insights to Better Mentoring.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making: The ability to solve problems and make decisions is crucial for managers at all levels. Great leaders have the ability to step back and view problems from a broader perspective — often uncovering root causes instead of simply “putting out fires.” Educate your leaders on the things that derail group dynamics and provide them with collaboration tools that help them work with their teams to find effective solutions and make better decisions. Recommended Training Resources: 5 Questions Every Leader Must Ask
Making an investment in leadership training allows you to develop leaders that will set your organization up for long-term success. By covering these five important training areas, you will improve the performance of your managers and the employees who report to them.