The Uh-Oh Syndrome
Run time: 28 Minutes
In this program, Dr. Steve Robbins
explains that while certain cultural and neuro-biological forces compel us to be closed-minded towards anything new or different, we have it in our power to overcome these influences so that we can comfortably entertain new ideas and be more accepting of those who differ from us.
Robbins is one of today's leading diversity and inclusion experts. Widely known for his thought-provoking stories, humor and practical application of principles from neurobiology and sociology, Robbins tackles tough topics in a way that is entertaining, understandable and non-threatening.
In this program, Robbins introduces the concept of "mental models", explaining where they come from and why we hate it so much when we encounter things that don't fit those models.
Specifically, he covers:
Robbins introduces two things people can do to move from intolerance to inclusion:
- The part culture plays in the development of our mental models (background, experiences, values)
- The part science plays in the development of our mental models (how the brain's instinct to operate on an "efficiency principle" causes us to love our comfort zones)
- How multiple redundant messages received from culture, and mindlessness caused by our brain's efficiency, lead us to have "unintentional intolerance" (where our actions are driven by instinct rather than a thoughtful assessment of what is valid)
1. Be more mindful and less mindless ("change your scripts")
2. Ask "what if?" more often; understand that you can entertain new ideas without necessarily having to accept them
In the conclusion, viewers are reminded that diversity equals strength. Since none of us can know everything…the more we include the opinions and ideas of others, the better our organizations will be at innovation and problem solving.
features stories from Steve that shed further light on some of the video's key topics including: Duct Tape, Eat Your Vegetables
, and Mini-Vans
. A Q&A Session is also included.
Special Bundle Offer:
The Uh-Oh Syndrome is excerpted from the 70-minute Inclusion Insights
program. It can be purchased separately or, you can get the Uh-Oh Syndrome and Inclusion Insights Combo Package
for $1100.00. (This bundle is recommended for those who may want to explore concepts more thoroughly when time allows.)
A SunShower Learning Title