Leadership and Self-Deception
Run time: 16 Minutes
In the workplace, some problems tend to surface time and time again. And most of the time, the reason these problems aren't solved once and for all is that the people at the root of the problem don't see the role they play in perpetuating it. The phenomenon is called self-deception, and it's more prevalent than you might think.
This training program illustrates self-deception and its solutions through a combination of video and workshop exercises:
Participants learn that:
- The video piece, which re-enacts the true story of 18th Century physician Ignaz Semmelweis, causes people to think about our human tendency to look elsewhere for the cause of our problems.
- The workshop helps trainees discuss the video and apply the concept to their work lives. It provides tools for analyzing and solving problems at their core.
- Most - if not all - "people problems" (poor communication, lack of teamwork, unresolved conflict...) share a common root: self-deception.
- The very people involved in resolving a given problem may contribute to it, and even help spread it.
- The solution to a problem always begins with them.
Learn how a consultant uses the Leadership and Self-Deception
workshop to help her clients “open the doors of perception” and self-awareness. Participants come away with a powerful recognition of personal filters, and how everyone can learn to take a few seconds to evaluate what’s influencing their reactions.
Another satisfied customer on Leadership and Self-Deception:
"I've found the Leadership and Self-Deception materials extremely helpful. We've used them in open classes, teams and in client education (several times in each setting). The well-done Semmelweiss video is particularly helpful in our industry."
-Director, Institute for Learning