Defeating Unconscious Bias
Run time: 14 Minutes
“Joe always wants to hire the best candidate for each position, but he never hires anyone under 30. Joe has a hidden bias but he doesn’t realize it.”
We all have bias. The question is, do we recognize it and then do something about it? By addressing one of the most important training issues facing the workplace today – unconscious bias – individuals can help create an inclusive, respectful workplace.
Based on the work of Dr. Sondra Thiederman
, Defeating Unconscious Bias
is designed to address the hidden biases that can affect hiring, promoting and team building, and that can thwart attempts to create a truly fair and inclusive workplace. The video first shows three realistic vignettes that illustrate the impact of bias in the workplace. In the sections that follow, the video's hosts reveal five practical and ready-to-implement tools people can use to become aware of, and counter, their own personal bias.
At the completion of the training, each participant will:
- Watch your first thoughts
- Use the power of logic
- Hit the pause button
- Act as if the bias doesn’t exist
- Cultivate common ground
1. Become aware of the impact of unconscious biases on themselves, their colleagues, and their workplace.
2. Understand that even unconscious biases can be defeated.
3. Learn how to employ 5 practical strategies to identify and counter their own unconscious biases.
A Sunshower Learning Title